Monday, August 25, 2008

Time to go to the v-e-t

Tonight the kittens go to the vet for their very first Itty Bitty Kitty Committee check-up. Oh, they were seen by the vet tech at the shelter, but tonight is their very first visit to MY vet. (Erm, that is, the vet that I take my cats to, not, you know, MY vet. Got it? No? Moving on ....)

Anyway, I couldn't figure out why I was getting all nervous and jerky about this. I mean, it's just a vet visit. Dr. H. is out of the office due to ankle surgery, so the kittens will be seeing Dr. B., who is very nice. And talks to the cats in a really weird, high, squeaky voice that is TOTALLY not like her normal speaking voice. Hey, whatever gets the job done, right?

So I'm all nervous, and trying to figure out why, and then it hit me, well, DUH ....

The LAST time ...........

The LAST time I went to the vet's ................

The LAST time I went to the vet's, it was to have Rocky put to sleep. And he did not go gently into that good night, and it was horrible, and my heart was sick for months afterward, and I still feel awful about the whole thing.

And here's the thing. One of the ways I try to calm myself down when facing a bad situation is to ask myself, "What's the worst that could happen?"

Yeah. You can see how that really doesn't work so hot in this particular case.

But! The Runt and Little Girl will be making the acquaintance of Dr. B. tonight. It should be interesting. And I can only hope I don't do something totally inappropriate, like walk into the vet's office and burst into tears. 'Cause that's what happened the LAST time I was there, doncha know ......

No comments: