Today, for the first time in a while, I did not bother to tape The Young and the Restless so I could watch it when I got home. (And yes, I DO still have a VCR! It's right next to my eight-track tape player! (Ha, ha, of course I do not still have an eight-track-tape player. But, sadly, I do still have a VCR. And I really need a new TV, but I am putting off buying one, because the one I have I bought in (ahem) 1992, and I am sure that new technology ensures that if I buy a new TV, it will sit in the corner in its box, because I will take one try (duration - approximately five hours) at connecting it to the VCR/DVD/cable box and burst into tears. I'm funny that way.))
SO, I did not tape Y&R, because the show massively sucks lately. Here's a few of the reasons why:
1. Jill's fiance, Ji Min (and by the way, those two had zero chemistry), was found dead in a hotel room. With a crushed windpipe. And the preliminary police report indicates that the crushed windpipe was caused by ........ a fall. Oh, come on. How the hell do you fall and crush your windpipe? Of course, we all know that Jack had something to do with this, because it involves the ownership of Jabot, a plot line in which I lost interest many, many months ago. Come to think of it, maybe it involves the ownership of NVP. Got me.
2. The whole Amber/Kevin/Daniel/whoever else/stolen money plot line, which I never have been able to figure out. I know that this was Y&R's annual "Let's spotlight the younger actors during the summer, so that kids who are home from school will get sucked into watching" plotline, but still. And Amber just sets my teeth on edge.
3. The whole "Jenna's psychotic and evil" vs. "Poor Jenna has a brain tumor" thing. All I know is, a few months ago Jenna tried to kill Kevin and Colleen, and now it's true love for Kevin and Jenna. Huh?
4. First they replaced the actress who played Victoria, and now they replaced the actress who played Colleen. Which means that a good deal of the time when someone shows up on screen, I have no idea who they are supposed to be, and have to take my clues from the dialogue.
5. The character of Dru, one of the few I really enjoyed on the show, got knocked off due to a failure in contract negotiations with the actress who played her. And about five minutes after Dru's funeral, her whole family was basically done with mourning and had moved on with their lives.
6. The whole Niki-leaving-Victor-for-her-campaign-manager thing. Oh, please.
Whew! I do go on, don't I? Anyhow, I think I'll give ol' Y&R a break for a while and see if I can get a life.
Oh, and by the way, I am sure that many, many bloggers are doing meaningful, tear-inducing posts about 9/11 today. And here I am, going on and on and on about Y&R. (Oh, and the earlier oil change post! Let's not forget about the oil change post!) I'm shallow like that.