Monday, September 24, 2007

My Hare-Brained Scheme Comes To Fruition

So, Saturday was my first time showing my photographs at a craft show. I am not really a craft show-type person, but I really wanted to see if my photos would sell. It was a beautiful day, sunny and warm, and I met lots of nice people. The vendors around me were very friendly and helpful when they found out it was my first show - they even let out a cheer when I made my first sale. I was amazed at how many shoppers wanted to talk (and talk, and TALK) - lots of people said the photos reminded them of gardens they used to have, or of their relatives' gardens. And a lot of older women wanted to talk about their dead husbands, which was kind of weird, but I can sympathize - I think they just need someone to listen, and I was a captive audience.

The most popular questions were "Did you take these pictures?" (yes), and "Are these your flowers?" (yes). Lots of people commented on how pretty the pictures were. I only made $55.00 (if they're such pretty pictures, BUY THEM, PEOPLE, (ha ha, just kidding, NOT)), but I realized that it makes me really happy to think that my pictures are hanging in other people's houses. I know that sounds weird, but it's cool to me.

Here's my car, loaded up and ready to go. (Oh, and one of the best parts of the day? Stopping at Dunkin' Donuts on the way to pick up a Boston Creme and a Strawberry Frosted. Yummmmm, donuts.)


Here's my table, ready to rock:


Here's the craft show itself. It was pretty small, only twenty tables, and there were not a lot of customers for a good part of the day. I'm wondering if I might do better at a larger show.



The local high school marching band came by to entertain us:



And they brought the color guard:



Can you believe the hair on that girl on the right? Can you imagine what it must look like when it's not in a ponytail? I wish I had hair like that. (And yes, I realize that these are not very good photos, coming from a person who is trying to SELL HER PHOTOS).
So, all in all, a good day. I tried something I had never done before and lived. Imagine that!

No comments: