Monday, June 04, 2007

Weather Forecast Update

I stand corrected. Saturday was a beautiful, gorgeous day - Sunny and in the eighties. And when I finally got off work (!), I was able to enjoy the rest of the afternoon. I went down to the creek, and it turned out to be Tadpole Day. Hundreds and hundreds of tadpoles, all congretating in one shallow, still portion of the creek. I would love to take some home and watch them turn into frogs, but something in me cringes at taking something out of its natural environment and putting it into a jar for my enjoyment. (Plus, I would probably kill them.) That's probably why I don't do zoos. And I know that it's said that the animals live much longer in zoos than they do in the wild, but really, what kind of a life is that? And that's why Rocky is an indoor/outdoor cat, because I don't think it's fair to keep him inside when he wants to be out. Now here's where someone says, "Oh, but your cat kills birds". Well yeah, but other stuff kills birds also. Including other birds. And now here's where someone says, "Your cat would live much longer if you kept it inside". Well yeah, except for Rocky is now 15. And maybe I would live much longer if I never left my apartment either, but what kind of a life is that?

OK. Drop the microphone and move away from the soapbox slowly.

Most of the rest of Saturday afternoon I spent in the backyard with a book. It would absolutely kill me to stay inside on a sunny,warm weekend day. In all the years I've lived in that building, I've been the only one to use the yard areas at all. How on earth anybody can sit inside on a gorgeous day and watch tv (and that's what they're doing; I can see the tv on when I walk past their windows (nosy, much? No, really, you can't help but see the tv)) is absoulutely beyond me. Maybe it's because beautiful, warm days are all too few up here in the frozen North; maybe if I lived in Florida I'd be all jaded about beautiful weather. When I think about the rest of the people in my building sitting inside, all I can think of is that Aerosmith song, I think it's "Uncle Salty", and the one line goes, "Oooh, it's a sunny day outside my window .... " That line always makes me sad, because it makes me think of someone sitting inside when they could be outside.

OK. Time to stop judging the neighbers. They could be in there coming up with a plan for world peace, for all I know. While watching NASCAR, of course.

So anyway, yesterday the weather gods got their revenge. I went grocery shopping, and by the time I got home, it was absolutely pouring. We're talking torrential, hard-to-drive-in rain. So I sat in the car in the driveway for a few minutes waiting for it to let up, and it didn't. Finally, I made a run for it, and in the thirty seconds it took for me to get from my car to the back steps, I was absolutely soaked. Drenched! We're talking, wring the hair out, change your soaked clothes wet. Yee Haw! It was fun.

My gosh, I do go on, don't I?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My mum said that I "...went on a bit".

Can't say that I disagree, but it's good to get it off your chest.