Friday, January 10, 2014

Relief




I hate to say it, but it was almost a relief to get back to work on Wednesday. 

After the chaos surrounding Mom's illness and death, and then the subsequent funeral planning, and family flying in and out, and the funeral itself (I managed not to punch anyone.  Am proud.), and my sister Texas staying with me (Texas, if you're reading this, I love you dearly but oh my god the CIGARETTE SMOKE), and the weather going up and down like a ping-pong ball,

it felt, well, good, to pull into the office parking lot on Wednesday morning.

Oh, sure, my desk was covered in snowdrifts of paperwork, and I'm still feeling sad, and there are still details to take care of for Mom (I'm an executor of the estate), but things are getting back to normal.

And one of the biggest reliefs of this whole thing?  Is the knowledge that I will never, ever, EVER again have to see or speak to my sister TIB.  For years, I was civil to her, as being nice to her was the only way to gain access to Mom (Mom lived with TIB), but now?

Done.  donedonedonedonedone.


And life marches on, yes it does, and I've got an adoption event tomorrow, and I've got to (finally) take the tree down on Sunday,  and I've got an appointment to get my hair cut and dye it RED a week from now,  and right now I'm just enjoying the mundane.

Well, except for cleaning the litterboxes, of course.  I don't think I'm EVER going to enjoy THAT.



5 comments:

fmcgmccllc said...

Is the red a new color? What shade of red?

Becs said...

Welcome back. I've missed you.

rockygrace said...

fmcetc., yeah, my natural color is what used to be referred to as "dirty blonde". I'm going for a light-ish red (Think Phyllis on Young and the Restless). Suggestions, as always, are welcome.

and thanks, Becs.

James P. said...

Suggestion: Let's stay away from that Cough Syrup Red. Can't get used to seeing it on humans.....Ginny.....P.S. You have never said whether the fosters have warmed up to you after the (hunky) cable guy hooked up the TV in their room.

rockygrace said...

Thanks for the heads-up, Ginny.

And thanks for asking about the fosters! Bindi, the tortie, is becoming less skittish. She will let me pet her now, and she actually purrs while I do it! Callie, the calico, is making much less progress, and because of that, they may be going soon to another foster home, one where there are more people to interact with, to see if Callie progresses more in a busier environment. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but sometimes the shy ones actually do better in a more active place.