Monday, January 27, 2014

Like herding ... yeah, you know



So, Operation Integration has begun.

I originally had planned to let them stay out of the foster room for as long as they want, and go outside when they eventually discover the cat door, but when I checked the forecast Saturday night and found out that it was supposed to go back down below zero this week (DAMN YOU, Polar Vortex), I decided that things would have to wait for a bit.

Even though these guys went in and out at their last foster home, they haven't been outside in months.  And seeing as how they were born last Spring and were taken into rescue in August, they have never been exposed to really cold weather.  I don't want to chance them getting outdoors right now.

So!  Saturday went great.  They romped around the house for a few hours, while the permacats alternately ignored them, played with them, and swatted them for their young-cat insolence, and by evening they wandered back into the foster room, and I closed the door for the night.  Yesterday, same story - Out playing and exploring the house (and digging in the houseplants GOT-DAM IT), and then back into the foster room for the night. 

This morning?  Six a.m., and I went in to feed them, with the intention of keeping them in their room while I was at work, and as soon as I eased open the screen door, Bindi squirted out between my feet.  Freeeeedom!  I turned around to try and scoop her up (HA) and Callie was right behind her. 

And of course, the problem with ferals is that you can't just pick them up and put them back in their room, unless you want to lose an arm or something, which I have learned from hard experience (Thanks, PETEY.).  No, you have to WAIT for them to DECIDE to go back into their room, which, thankfully, they did after about half an hour of screwing around.

I will tell you what, you guys, my nerves are SHOT.  The weather is supposed to warm up by this weekend, and we will start the whole thing over again.   Hopefully I can avoid having a nervous breakdown between now and then.

Anybody got any Zanax?




2 comments:

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

I use a baby gate inside doors to give me that extra second to get inside a room that has fosters

rockygrace said...

Great idea, Tails! Thanks!