Friday, July 12, 2013

Cemetery, Part 2




Okay, so, in the comments of that post the other day I was talking about stealing tombstones, which, I WOULD NEVER DO, if only because I know karma would strike me dead.

And there are some tombstones that are too damn ugly to steal, anyway, like this little prize, seen in the same cemetery as that other post:



I know I've talked about tacky tombstones before, but here I go again.  No disrespect to the people interred underneath this monstrosity, but ... what?  Mom is a saint and Dad was a ... car?  WTF?  Oh, I know these things are common, but that doesn't make them any less tacky.  Christ.

This is more my style of tombstone:


You can't really tell, because I'm a crappy photographer, but this tombstone was a tree trunk, with flowers around the bottom, and a book on top.  I'm guessing it's supposed to be the Bible, although doesn't it look like it's ... upside down?  or reversed?  It just seems to me like the binding should be on the left.  Do you think the grieving family paid for the stone, and waited patiently for it to be carved, and then showed up at the tombstone place and were all, "Whaaaaaat?  The book's UPSIDE DOWN!  FIX IT!"  and the tombstone carver dude was all, "errrrrmmmmmm ... sorry."  Maybe the carver dude was illiterate and didn't KNOW that the book was wrong?  Maybe I think too much about this stuff?

Yeah, I think it's probably that last one.


2 comments:

~~Silk said...

How 'bout this: If the spine is on the left, the book is ready to be read. If the spine is on the right, the book has been finished.

rockygrace said...

I LOVE that, ~~Silk.