Tuesday, October 07, 2014

Museum info, and a question



So, yesterday I was talking about the Johnson Museum.  Here's a brief article about the light exhibit on the overhang.

It was a little disconcerting to see that the artist is younger than I.  HOW can somebody younger than I am do such cool stuff?

Of course, as I get older, there are more and more people younger than I, but it still seems weird.  Like, my dentist is younger than I am - how is that possible?   When did I get so damn OLD?

And is it weird that I'm having panic attacks about my theoretical upcoming trip?  While I don't like flying, particularly airports, I'm not afraid to fly, nor am I afraid to travel, nor am I afraid of Mexico. One of my sisters will be joining me there, so it's not that I'd be vacationing alone.  Oddly enough, the thing that is freaking me the f*ck out right now is the idea of leaving the cats.

I KNOW.

Whaaaaaat?  I have several reliable people I could use as petsitters, I am sure the cats will be JUST FINE, and yet somehow, it is causing me mega-anxiety.  Which makes me think that there is something else going on here that is making me panic-y.  Hmmmm ... do any of you panic unnecessarily about travel?  Is it, like ... a thing?  Because if I can't get this under control, it's gonna be a rough few months.  Theoretically.

6 comments:

the queen said...

It's all a balance of risk and reward. I think you know what the risk could be but you can only imagine what the reward will be. Do more research on the reward vacation when you start panicking about the virtually impossible risk to the cats.

rockygrace said...

"virtually impossible risk to the cats" - THANK YOU for this, queen.

I think I'm falling prey to a common rescue fallacy - the "no one could possibly take care of these cats as well as me" thing. Sh*t, the cats don't care, as long as someone with opposable thumbs turns up to run the can opener.

But add to that the fact that when I was an apartment building manager, I ran into a couple of situations when petsitters for tenants simply failed to show, and I ended up walking into Lord of the Flies-type scenarios, and ... yeah. So I've got to go to a fail-safe, which I can figure out.

And that toe pic will never stop icking me out.

rockygrace said...

Sorry. I've just got a high ick factor when it comes to feet.

~~Silk said...

Suggestion: Don't get just one sitter. Get three, and each of them takes every third day. That way, if one of them has an accident or gets sick, or just plain craps out, the cats would be without care for only one day before the next one arrives. One day is tolerable.

Daughter asks me to care for her three cats when the family is away. I don't think she fully trusts me because when I arrive the first day, there are two huge bowls on the floor with about 5 lbs of dry food in one and about a gallon of water in the other. My only task is to count the cats, clean the litter boxes, and I go ahead and refresh the water anyway, just to feel useful.

rockygrace said...

~~Silk, yep, I've planned on hiring more than one sitter. Also planning on leaving lots of extra dry food and water and litter boxes out.

True story - One of my nephews and his wife recently went away for four days, and asked the kids' nanny to feed the cat. On day two she ran out of cat food, so SHE STOPPED FEEDING THE CAT. She doesn't work for them anymore.

rockygrace said...

Oh, and another option is boarding. Kitty jail. But at least I'd be one hundred percent positive where they were at all times while I was gone.