Monday, May 12, 2014

Saturday's flowers



Yeah, posting around here gets a little heavy on the wildflower angle this time of year.  Bear with me.

Oh, but first!  The first hummingbird of the season was at the feeder Saturday!  It's hummer time! Ha.



Saturday, I went back down to the creek by my old apartment, in search of Dutchman's Britches and blooming trillium.  I didn't find any Dutchman's Britches, but I DID find the trillium:





 I love mayapple plants.  They look weird:




The bluebells are blooming:




Trout lily:





I don't know what this white flower is.  Anybody?:




And finally - the find of the day - drum roll please:




Jack-in-the-pulpit!  I LOVE Jack-in-the-pulpits!  Too. Cool.

I'll have to go back again to see if I can find those darn Dutchman's Britches. 



3 comments:

bridgett said...

I think your mystery flower is an anemone hepatica...not sure though.

~~Silk said...

The unknown white flower is probably Bloodroot. Have to see leaves to be sure, but if you check Google images, it's pretty much an exact match for the blossom, then you can be positive by checking the juice from the stem. If the juice is red, it's Bloodroot.

rockygrace said...

Thanks for the help, guys. I'm about as bad at identifying flowers as I am at birds.