Thursday, May 15, 2014

Off-putting



Okay, so, Facebook.  I resisted it for quite a while, but then some of the rescues for which I volunteer started using it to notify people of upcoming events, etc., so I reluctantly signed up.

And some of my Facebook "friends" post a little, and some post a lot, and some post every five minutes ("I'm drinking my coffee now!"  "I'm having some cereal!"), and those people I block.

And my veterinarian is on Facebook, and we are "friends" because we have "friends" in common, and she posts pics of hanging out with her real-life friends, and posts about going out to dinner, and all that Facebook stuff.

And she also posts about her job.  Stuff like "OMG it's been non-stop today can't wait for five o'clock" and "These people here are driving me CRAZY" and "Only three more hours and I get to go home" and

it's kind of off-putting.  And she NEVER posts stuff like, "My job is great!" or "I love my furry clients!"  It's always something negative when she posts about work.

I mean, so far, she hasn't posted anything like that on a day when I've been in her office, but now I can't help but wondering, am *I* one of those people who drive her crazy?   Is it *my* cats who have been in there on one of those over-booked days?  Is she really paying attention to my pets if she's preoccupied with how many hours are left in the workday? 

Is that odd, that I wonder those things?  Is it odd, that she would post those things, knowing that some of her clients read her posts?  Am I hopelessly outdated?

Enquiring minds want to know.

4 comments:

Mama D said...

I think it's unwise and unprofessional of her to out stuff like that out there in the electronic world whether her clients are FB friends or not...the professional risk in her sort of business can't possibly be worth it. Yikes.

And if you have the awareness to ask if *you* are that client, you aren't. :)

James P. said...

Agree that she is wrong to post that. Let's hope she is like the moms who say, "These kids are driving me nuts!", but wouldn't trade them for anything.

I don't have any real cereal in the house, and I never learned to like coffee.

Ginny

fmcgmccllc said...

You are spot on.

rockygrace said...

Anything I put on Facebook, I put up assuming the whole wide world will see it. Because you never know who WILL see it ... and even if I *did* hate my job, that's nobody's business but my own. Harumph.

That said, the "friend" who posts constantly (coffee, cereal, etc.) also posts at least once a day about having to do paperwork. "Time to do some paperwork, and then lunch with friends!" (yes, I do block her feed. But sometimes I check in out of, I don't know, morbid curiosity or something.)

I don't know about you guys, but my personal life doesn't include all that much paperwork. So I've decided that "paperwork" is a euphemism for using the toilet, and that way I'm able to at least get a chuckle over her "paperwork" posts.