Tuesday, November 29, 2011

So! Emergency root canal!

Yeah, that was fun. Or not.

And the thing is, it will (hopefully) stop the god-awful toothache I had over the weekend, but it's not gonna touch the underlying jaw pain. But with the tooth going south in a hurry, I really didn't feel like I had a choice.

Because you know how it is - when a tooth starts to pound, all of the sudden the dentist is your best friend. I practically cried on the phone yesterday morning when the receptionist said they could fit me in. (Oh! And my dentist had a girl! That makes four boys, two girls. So far.)

And OH MY GOD why is that root canal shit so expensive? By the time I get done with the permanent root canal and the post and the crown and the fittings and the blahblahblah, we're talking - and I almost hate to say it - two grand.

TWO GRAND! For a TOOTH! Oh, they woulda pulled it for ninety bucks, but "hillbilly" is not really the look I'm going for.

So! I bid two grand! Anybody wanna top it?

4 comments:

rockygrace said...

and let me just say, the doc gave me a prescription for Flexeril, a muscle relaxer, to help with the jaw, and that shit is AWESOME! I slept better last night than I swear I've slept in YEARS. Oh Flexeril, where have you BEEN all my life?

Laura said...

My last root canal was a total of $1200. It might be cheaper for you to drive to Indiana and get a root canal...if there is a next time.

fmcgmccllc said...

I can't remember the number of root canals, but the price is getting right up there. Last one I had insurance and it covered most of it.

The crown is the expensive part and the change in the bite. I hate going to the dentist and it seems I give them more money than any other entity.

rockygrace said...

Well, let's see, the root canal itself is $900.00, and the crown is another $1,200.00, so that's ... oh shit, it's actually twenty-one hundred, not two grand.

Of course, I could just have the root canal done and skip the crown, but with my luck? Nah. Crown me.

and Laura, there better not BE a next time. Ha!

and fmcgmccllc, I can't figure out why it's so damn expensive. I mean, the crowns are porcelain and metal. Shoot, my TOILET is porcelain, and IT only cost a couple hundred bucks. AND it's a lot bigger than a damn CROWN. *sigh*