Friday, July 01, 2011

Recently Read

Okay, first off, major, major thanks to Badass Nature Girl, who sent me another care package, this time including a mix tape of her singing! And I will tell you right now, she's got a beautiful voice. Thank you, BNG.


Now, on to Recently Read. Skip it if you wanna.


1. Notes from the Underwire by Quinn Cummings - To steal a blurb from the book cover, this was kind of like Erma Bombeck for modern times. Fast and funny - I liked it. Oh, but a heads up - the penultimate story, "Dog Days", will break your heart. Just so you know.


2. The Book of Bright Ideas by Sandra Kring - Novel about a "footloose" woman and how she influences a small town - Much better than "Thank You For All Things", the other book of hers I tried to read - this one was good.


3. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley - This is one of the "classic" books I never read in high school. It's about a future society. I'm sure it was a shocker back in 32, when it was first published. It was mostly serious, sometimes funny, and thought-provoking. One of the better "classics" I've tackled.



4. Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank - Novel set in the fifties about what happens to a small town after a nuclear war. Depressing, but interesting.



5. I Still Dream About You by Fannie Flagg - Oh, I love Fannie Flagg - her books are so comfy. This is about a realtor dealing with an existential crisis - it sounds like a drag, but it's a charming book.



6. But Enough About Me by Jancee Dunn - Memoir from a Rolling Stone journalist. Interesting and funny.

Hey! Let's do a movie review! Okay, first, "The King's Speech". Snooooooooooore. Well-crafted, but holy crap what a SNOOZE. THIS was the best picture of the year? Bah.

Oh! And one more! "Vernon, Florida". I am not a big fan of Errol Morris documentaries, this one included. 'Nuff said.

Okay, back to the books:

7. Homecoming by Cynthia Voigt - typical Young Adult fiction - young woman in peril, tons of implausible situations - I'm too old to be reading this stuff.



8. Don't Sleep with a Bubba by Susan Reinhardt - Essays. I read her book "Not Tonight, Honey" and really enjoyed it. I got about ten pages in to this one and almost quit because it started out such a stinker, but it got better as it went on.



So! That's what I've been reading! What about you?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Normally, I really like critics' favorites for movies (and movies that the critics hate too--I pretty much like all movies), but The King's Speech looked boring to me too. I haven't seen it, but it's on my Netflix queue, and now I'm wondering if I should even bother. Hm.

rockygrace said...

I just didn't understand what all the fuss was about. I mean, it was OKAY, it was just ... dull. To me, anyway.

Pickles and Dimes said...

I loved Alas, Babylon. (Or any depressing, post-apocalytic book, for that matter.)

rockygrace said...

I hear ya, Pickles. I'm pretty sure I've got "On the Beach" on my Amazon wishlist.

Nothing like nuclear war for some light summer reading!

I'm actually afraid to read Cormac McCarthy's "The Road". His books are depressing enough already, without adding the end of the world into the fray.

Hmm ... now I'm wondering ... I think I'll go google "most depressing book ever."