Thursday, December 14, 2006

Bathroom Ceiling Part 2

Back in September I posted about scraping and painting my bathroom ceiling because condensation was forming on the ceiling and dripping down on me. Scraping and painting didn't work -the water still dripped down. And the problem started getting worse - condensation was forming on the ceiling outside the area of the tub and dripping down on the towels, the floor, etc. So I went up in the attic and put down more insulation in this area above the bathroom. The problem got worse.

I was stumped. I've been putting a garbage bag on top of my towels in the morning to keep them dry.

Then, this morning, I ran the water into the tub until it was the right temperature, then turned the diverter to make the water run out the showerhead, the way I do every morning. As soon as I did so, I could feel a fine mist from above. I thought, there is no possible way that condensation could already be forming and dripping down - I just turned on the water just this second!

So I got into the shower, and pondered this latest development. Then I reached up and felt around the showerhead, and guess what? There was a teeny, tiny crack in the showerhead where it connects to the pipe, and a teeny, tiny spray of water was coming out of that crack like a geyser, arcing up and over the shower curtain, and spraying the bathroom ceiling with water, which was then dripping down.

So I rotated the showerhead until the teeny, tiny crack and the teeny, tiny spray of water were pointing toward the tile in the tub. Problem solved. Now I can't decide if I'm a genius for figuring this out, or an idiot for taking so long to figure it out.

No comments: