Saturday, February 23, 2019

Good Boy update

Some of you may remember Good Boy, the neighborhood feral I TNR'd last year.

Good Boy kept coming around, off and on, and then, around Christmas time, he started coming around all the time.  He'd hang out in my backyard shed during the day and in the my garage at night, and he'd meow loudly and scratch at the kitchen door when he wanted me to bring him some food. (Typical male, ha.)  I worried about him being out in the cold and snow.

But my permacat Tinks was NOT having it. It was okay when Good Boy only came around once in a while, but when it became every day, Tinks became aggressive toward him, and I was afraid somebody was going to get hurt.

A farmer I TNR for offered to give Good Boy a farm home.  And that was the plan, until ... Good Boy started rubbing against my legs when I took his food out.  And rolling on the floor, showing me his tummy. And PURRING.


I called the rescue I volunteer for.   Would they be willing to work with Good Boy?

The answer was yes!

So a couple of weeks ago, when Good Boy meowed for his breakfast, I went out in the garage, scooped him up, popped him in a crate, and took him to the adoption center.

Why yes, yes I AM a Judas.


I'm sorry, Good Boy!  It's for the best!

The center volunteers are patiently working with Good Boy.  I stop by often, as do my friends, to give him some loving.



He is fussed over and has a warm, safe place to sleep with no Tinks to attack him.   He even entertains guests from time to time at his new place:


Most importantly, he'll finally have a family to love him, once the perfect people come along.  No more living in sheds and garages and having other cats beat up on him.  He'll finally be able to have a home. 

Good Boy!

5 comments:

James P. said...

Mixed feelings on this one. Guess he would have insisted on living outside at your house, and that would continue to be rough. Thanks for looking after the Big Guy.

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

I hope everything works out well

James P. said...

When you say EDD is "working with him", what do we mean? Getting him used to being petted/held by different folks? Hope he is doing well.

rockygrace said...

James P, I, too, had mixed feelings. If I thought that Tinks would stop his aggression, I would have given Good Boy a home. But Tinks was becoming more and more, well, mean, and the other permacats were starting to stress, and Good Boy was becoming more insistent on coming inside (he would HOWL at the door and try to paw his way in). He seems to be content at the rescue (no frantic clawing at the cage, no trying to bolt out when someone opens the door, etc.), so the plan is that he will remain at the rescue and the volunteers will continue to fuss over him so that any remaining fear of people will abate. He has showed zero signs of being overly stressed, even when they had to draw blood for a test, so he will stay at the rescue until his family comes along. And if at any point he starts to show signs that he is unhappy there, he still has a barn home open to him, where at least he could be more comfortable than in my cruddy old shed.

I'll keep you all posted.

James P. said...

Thanks.