Wednesday, June 01, 2016

Recently Read

As usual, skip it if you wanna.

1.  Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight by Alexandra Fuller - Memoir of growing up white in South Africa in the Seventies and Eighties.  Very interesting; a personal account of life in turbulent times.

2.  Its Head Came Off By Accident by Muffy Mead-Ferro - Memoir about growing up on a Wyoming cattle ranch.  Good.

3.  Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson.  Ms. Lawson, aka The Bloggess, previously wrote Let's Pretend This Never Happened, a memoir, which I really enjoyed.  Furiously Happy is more in the style of the writing of her blog - short, humorous essays.

4.  The Sky Isn't Visible From Here by Felicia C. Sullivan - Account of how the child of a drug addict became a drug addict herself. A quick read, and interesting.

5.  Live Through This by Debra Gwartney- This one was in the same area of the library stacks as #4.  I first heard this woman's story on an episode of "This American Life" - It's about how two of her daughters ran away together as teenagers, and her struggle to get them off the streets..  Interesting.

6.  One Man's Wilderness by Richard Proenneke (and Sam Keith) - Memoir from a man who went to Alaska in the sixties and homesteaded, alone, for many years.  I'd seen his specials on PBS a million times, but I didn't realize until recently that there was also a book.  Fascinating.

7.  Riding the White Horse Home by Teresa Jordan - Memoir of growing up on a cattle ranch in Wyoming.  Good.

8.  Never Turn Your Back on an Angus Cow by Dr. Jan Pol - I love the tv show "The Incredible Dr. Pol", and I love books by veterinarians, so this book, a memoir by Dr. Pol, was a win-win.  Good!

9.  The Girl Who Slept with God by Val Brelinski - Novel about a girl coming of age in the seventies, who is sequestered with her older sister when the sister, a religious zealot, becomes pregnant.  Poignant, funny, and captures the era well.

10.  Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon.  I usually stay away from YA lit, just, well, because, but someone recommended this to me (one of you, maybe?) so I picked it up.  It's a book about a teenager with an immune disorder who finds herself attracted to a neighbor.  Interesting and fast-paced, but the plot twist toward the end is total bullsh*t (there, I said it), so I didn't enjoy it as much as I would have otherwise.

11.  Dark Gods by T.E.D. Klein - Four horror short stories, all of which ended just as we were about to find out what the monster was.  Meh.

So, that's what I've been reading lately.  How about you?












3 comments:

~~Silk said...

You seem to have had a better browse through the library this time than usual. How do you choose books? Blurbs? Skim a bit while standing at the shelf? Recommendations? Topics?

I used to go by book reviews (like NY Times, etc.), but found that the reviewers and I just didn't agree. They have strange ideas of what makes a good book. Sometimes I think they're just trying to make themselves look more erudite than thou. Also, sales figures don't work, either. I can't think of a single best-seller I really enjoyed. I tend to find a writer I like and then stick with them, but then I'm missing out on so much more.

spiffikins said...

You are far more organized that I - I don't have the patience/energy to write up blurbs about each book I read. I'm mostly just impressed that in the past 5 months, I've actually been able to keep *track* of the books I've read - here's my list for May

70.Sudden Backtrack - Kim Harrison - 5/28/2016
69.Waylaid - Kim Harrison - 5/27/2016
68.A Cup of Normal - Devon Monk - 5/22/2016
67.Back Lash - Devon Monk - 5/21/2016
66.Stone Cold - Devon Monk - 5/21/2016
65.Hell Bent - Devon Monk - 5/20/2016
64.Crucible Zero - Devon Monk - 5/19/2016
63.Infinity Bell - Devon Monk - 5/19/2016
62.House Immortal - Devon Monk - 5/18/2016
61.The Spring Bride - Anne Grace - 5/17/2016
60.The Winter Bride - Anne Grace - 5/16/2016
59.The Autumn Bride - Anne Grace - 5/14/2016
58.Heart of Briar - Laura Anne Gilman - 5/14/2016
57.Her Every Wish - Courtney Milan - 5/13/16
56.Fire Touched - Patricia Briggs - 5/12/16
55.The Undoing - Shelly Laurenston - 5/11/16
54.Every Heart a Doorway - Seanan McGuire - 5/10/16
53.The Glittering Court - Richelle Mead - 5/8/16
52.Because of Miss Bridgerton - Julia Quinn - 5/6/16
51.Alliance of Equals - Sharon Lee & Steve Miller - 5/1/16
50.Last Sacrifice - Richelle Mead - 5/1/16

rockygrace said...

~~Silk, I don't pay any attention to book reviews. If I read a book I really like, I'll pop it into Amazon and browse the "Customers who bought this item also bought" books. I do browse the library stacks quite a bit and I also go by title/cover - If something has "murder" in the title and a knife on the cover, I'm not likely to pick it up. Ha. I don't go by author, because it seems there's an awful lot of writers out there who only had one good book in them, but they just keep writing more. There are certain genres I like - memoir, "animal" stories - and I read a lot of nonfiction. But some of my favorite books - The Stand, The Story of Edgar Sawtelle - don't fit into any of my favorite genres, so go figure. :)

and spiffikins, holy cow! You are a reading MACHINE. :) I tip my hat to you.