Friday, July 18, 2014

whut whut whut


Tomorrow we are doing an adoption event at a produce stand out in the middle of nowhere.  You know that joke about a b-list celebrity who'll show up at an opening of a 7-11?  Yeah, that's us.  Next thing you know, we'll be sending little kids to stand outside of Walmart with boxes of kittens.  Desperate times, folks.  Desperate measures are indicated.  These kittens aren't getting any younger, you know.

So, we had an adoption event last Saturday, and one of the assistant managers of the store where the event was held has a crush on one of our volunteers, which we all thought was kind of cute until the months went by and it became evident that even though the assistant manager was aware that the volunteer in question was (a) married and (b) now visibly pregnant, he was going to continue flirting with her.  So now it's just skeevy, and the volunteer is not amused, and I don't blame her.  But hey, she's a grown woman, both of these people are in their thirties, and it's up to her to say something, am I right?  I mean, if she comes to me and asks me to speak with the dude, I certainly will, but I'm staying out of it until then.  She's a strikingly attractive woman, so I'm thinking she probably gets this crap all the time and has gotten used to it.

So, then, last Saturday, things were kind of slow, and one of our other volunteers decided to go outside for a smoke break.  The assistant manager, let's call him Tom, saw her grab her pack of smokes and said, "That'll ruin your looks, you know."

"What?!," the volunteer said.

"Smoking," Tom said.  "It'll ruin your looks, and then you'll never get a husband." 

whut whut whut

The volunteer said, "You know what?  It's my looks, and I've already GOT a husband, so bug off."

and she went outside to have her smoke.



I dunno.  (Full disclaimer, I used to smoke myself, and did so for thirty years.)   I mean, if one of our volunteers was overweight and had been eating Cheetos, would this dude have felt free to comment on it?  ("You'll never get a husband if you don't lose some weight!")  Is it ever appropriate to comment on someone else's behavior, unless they're, like, a loved one?  Or about to commit a crime or something?

So I used to like this dude, and he even adopted a cat from us and may be adopting another one, but really?  And what's funny is, this guy is young-ish and good looking and fairly articulate, and I used to wonder why he wasn't in a relationship with someone.

I guess now I know.  Geez Louise.




6 comments:

~~Silk said...

Ah, I'd give him a break. He seems like an ok guy, just with no social awareness or skills whatsoever. Think of him as an unhousebroken puppy --- which might be apt, since it sounds like he was raised by wolves. (It also sounds like he might be an Aspie.)

rockygrace said...

Oh, I have beyond had it with the "Aspie" excuse. Everybody and their damn brother is going around saying shitty crap and blaming it on Asperger's. If I was a true Asperger person, I'd be pissed right now.

Guy's just a dick. If he had tried that line in a bar, he would've had his ass handed to him. And if he ever says something like that to me, even if it is in his own store, he WILL have his ass handed to him.

And then we really will be standing outside of Walmart with boxes full of kittens.

James P. said...

So, are you really saying you're jealous of the other girls? Huh? What?

(snicker. snort.)

fmcgmccllc said...

Asshat. Bet he is the guy always saying women only like the bad boys and won't go for nice guys like him. Asshat.

Domestic Kate said...

No. Just, no. This is not about him having poor social skills. This is sexism, plain and simple, and he's a jerk. He might not be an extraordinary jerk (sadly, his behavior is common), but it is nonetheless sexist to assume that it's okay to flirt with a woman who has made it clear she's not interested and to assume that it's okay to tell a woman she's failing in the attractiveness department.

I certainly don't blame you for not saying anything (you shouldn't have to), but I'm glad the one who was going to smoke did say something. Hopefully, he'll at least leave her alone about it.

rockygrace said...

We'll be back in that store this coming Saturday. Could be interesting.