Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Fame

All the celebrity crash-and-burns lately have got me thinking. If I had made a pile of money at a young age, it seems to me I would've wanted to keep myself very good shape, the better to enjoy the money for as long as possible. I mean, money isn't everything, but it sure helps. So if you had a huge pile of money handed to you, wouldn't it make more sense to keep yourself in shape (exercise, diet, etc.), so you could really enjoy spending all that cash for years to come? I can't imagine looking at a huge bank balance and thinking, "Gee, I can buy a ton of coke with that money", or, "Gee, I think I'll go out and get really, really wasted tonight, and every night". I'd be more like, "Gee, I can buy a small island with that money and lie on the beach for the rest of my life", or, "Gee, I can really make a difference in the world with that much money (after I buy the small island, of course)" (ha!).

I guess I'll never have this particular problem, unless Bill Gates is my long-lost uncle, but it really fries me to see people who have more money than they will ever need turn into total burn-0ut losers. Give me the money! I'll spend it right! I promise!

2 comments:

Exador said...

Many of the lottery winners piss it all away too. That boggles my mind. Even if you just put the money in a safe account, like a money market, you could easily rake in enough off the interest to live quite well.

See Mike Tyson. Pathetic. The funniest part is when you hear one of these now-poor idiots saying they wouldn't change a thing. They'd blow it all again.

rockygrace said...

They'd blow it all again??? Amazing! Time to start the "Send Your Excess Money To Me" campaign!