Tuesday, January 16, 2007

American Idol

Yes, I admit it - I'm going to watch American Idol tonight, and I'm going to enjoy every cheesy minute. The old train wreck scenario - I can't not look. These audition shows are the ones I enjoy - I don't care much once they start winnowing down the "talent".

It always amazes me when somebody sings really poorly and is absolutely astounded when the judges don't like them. Is that for real, or are they just there to be on camera? Because it seems to me that someone, somewhere, would have told them at some point that they can't sing. Especially the ones with "vocal coaches"! Picture it:

Suzy, to her vocal coach: "Guess what, Mrs. Vocal Coach! I'm going to try out for American Idol!"

Vocal coach: "Ummmm ......"

Suzy: "That's a really good idea, right? I'm totally ready to be on American Idol!

Vocal coach: "Ummmm ..... maybe we better talk about this, Suzy."

Or do vocal coaches totally lie to their clients, telling the tone-deaf ones that they're really good, just so they'll keep paying their money every week?

And I'm always surprised that there aren't more good singers out there. I mean, every year, there's several real clunkers in the "top ten".

I love to sing, but I'm really bad at it, and I know it. So don't look for me on that show! Not to mention that I'm quite a ways past the age cut-off.

Oh yeah, what was that other reality show that was on? "America's Got Talent", or something like that. It should have been, "America Has No Talent". I've never seen such a bunch of horrible, horrible acts in my life! Too bad to be funny, even. Just sad.

No comments: