Friday, August 02, 2019

Foster Camp Update!

Let's see, I think I made a brief reference in an earlier post to the new Foster Campers.  I think it's time for an update.

The campers I had been fostering for the rescue for which I had been volunteering (lots of past tense, there), went to my friend Sarah's house so that I could put Good Boy in the foster room while I worked on smoothing his integration into the Permacats.

Once THAT was accomplished, I realized it was time to look for a new rescue to devote my volunteering efforts toward.  While the rescue I had been volunteering for certainly accomplishes lots of good things, their colossal failure of the Good Boy situation left a bad taste in my mouth.  The founder of the rescue never apologized for what happened to Good Boy, instead throwing one of the other volunteers, a good friend of hers, under the bus, blame-wise, and when I called her out on THAT, she resorted to bullying tactics to try to keep me in line.  Oh, hi, have you ever MET me?!  The one thing that will NEVER work on me is bullying. :) 

So I went to another local rescue and filled out the volunteer foster paperwork, and within a day they called me, which is how I got Toby Thomas, a scared-to-death feral kitten who needed LOTS of forced handling to tame.  He was 12 weeks old when I got him, which is old to try to tame a feral, but with time and work he came around.

But Toby was lonely, and still not fond of human contact.  What to do? Why, go to the rescue and bring home a kitten to show him the ropes, of course!  Which is where Nani came into the picture:

And then I started trapping for TNR in a neighborhood, and I noticed a tiny little kitten running around in the street. I asked the people I was trapping for to try and catch him, because I thought he was young enough to successfully socialize, and he was so terribly thin I was worried about him.  On Wednesday night, I had to go out to trap, and we managed to get the kitten into a carrier. I took him home, kept him separated from the other cats because due to his poor condition I was worried about feline leukemia, and took him to the vet the next morning.

He tested negative for leukemia (yaaaay!), but was crawling with fleas and ear mites and loaded with worms.  Several medications and a bath later, he's here at Foster Camp to gain some weight and get used to human attention.   And I've named him Two Miles, after the location where he was trapped.

So there you have it! Foster Campers, Summer 2019 Session:  Toby Thomas, Nani, and Two Miles.  :)


Anonymous said...

I love Two Miles's ears.


Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

Two Miles hurts my heart to look at him.. I just want to hold him and kiss his little head and offer him bits of chicken until he falls asleep..

Good for you for calling her out about Good Boy.. hopefully after all is said and done she learns something..

James P. said...

OH, Connie, Two Miles will be spoiled rotten now. It will be OK.