Thursday, August 25, 2011

Pulled pork

Last Saturday, the annual local community picnic was held. It's in the park next door to my house, so I kind of feel obligated to go.

On Friday night, I made up a big plate of deviled eggs, which is always my go-to dish to pass, because (a) they're easy to make; (b) they're cheap; and (c) who doesn't like deviled eggs?

And on Saturday, I headed over to the party. Not that it's like a chore, or anything. I get to chat with my neighbors and eat, with an emphasis on the "eat". On Saturday, I had a pulled pork sandwich and baked beans and tossed salad and cornbread and pink lemonade, while watching the little kids dunk-tank each other. Two years ago, I remember there was a minor emergency when they tried to fill the dunk tank with water from a fire department tanker truck that evidently had been filled in, like, April, because the water came out green and slimy and oh no there will be no dunk tank this year! until a neighbor came over with a garden hose and filled up the dunk tank and saved the day.

And I chatted with my neighbor L.* and the people who run the maple syrup farm up the road and some more people who I have no idea who they were but we all sat and ate together and howdy, neighbor! And I stopped and chatted with my neighbor T. who just got back from spending two months in Oregon with her son's family and I will not even confess here how many times, while she was gone, I thought about going over to her empty house and cutting myself a bouquet from her beautiful gardens and ...

... okay. Getting off track here. I had pulled pork and then I went home and mowed the backyard and then sat in the sun and listened to the radio and read the paper and did not do any of the ten million things on my to-do list.

That was my Saturday. Not too many summer Saturdays left, now. Time to take it easy.




*We are currently on Blacktop Watch, Day Two. For those of you keeping track.

No comments: