Friday, May 24, 2019

Well, if that don't beat all


Some of you may recall that I was hired for my current job in a provisional capacity, meaning that the next time the civil service exam for my position was offered in my area, I would need to take the test and finish in the top three positions in order to become a permanent hire.

Back in early March I took the exam.  Then, last month, still without knowing the results, I had to take a typing test, which is a requirement for the position.  I was surprised to find out that the passing requirement was only 45 words per minute, and even MORE surprised to find out that only nine of the original 20 applicants for the position passed the typing portion (which is graded immediately upon completion of the test).  Whoa.  But at least now I knew that I was one of only nine.

And then I waited. And waited some more.  And then, yesterday, the results were in.

Not only did I pass the exam, and not only did I finish in the top three positions,

I ACED THE TEST.

A perfect score.  The ONLY ONE.  The next closest applicants were ten points behind.

WHEW.

Now, I'll be honest here, the stakes for me were not as high as they once would have been, but still, this had become a matter of pride for me.  I really, really wanted to do well on the test, just to prove to myself that I COULD.  It had, after all, been many, many years since I had had to sit for an exam.

 But I did it!  and I ACED it.

DAMN I'M GOOD. :) 


9 comments:

spiffikins said...

Well done! You ROCK!

KJL said...

Way to go! Goes to show they've had any one nearly as good as you :-)

Kris

KJL said...

they've never had

James P. said...

You should buy yourself a present. We're past the gold star stickers stage.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations.

Julia

James P. said...

Here's a thought: If you plan to retire early to sit in your counting house, counting all your money (Sing a Song of Sixpence, blah blah), maybe you could go to college! It would fill a need that you were basically deprived of when you were college age. It would be fun. If you do go, do NOT be one of the older students who raises her hand at dismissal time, saying "I saw the most interesting thing on PBS the other day....." while the other students writhe in agony. I've suffered through those folks and so have my kids.

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

That is freakin awesome! great job!! I remember how stressed you were over taking it..

~~Silk said...

Sorry it took so long for me to get here. Congratulations! I'm not the teeniest bit surprised you did so well on the test. You have amazing organizational skills, wide-ranging interests, excellent people-skills (you have to, to work with cat rescuers), a sharp mind, and you're not afraid to be a bit weird when it pleases you. They are lucky to have you, and I hope they recognize it (unlike your previous boss - he go out of business yet?).

rockygrace said...

~~Silk! Long time no see! Thanks for the flattery. :)

And if by "previous boss" you mean the racist, well, he's dead now, so out of business indeed.