Monday, May 20, 2019

It's just all so ... strange (edited because I realized I forgot some very important stuff)



First of all, Good Boy continues to do well!  He's been to see my vet and did fine, and I think I'm probably going to try introducing him into Gen Pop this coming weekend.  We'll see how it goes!

And thank you so much to Ginny for the gift card so that I can pick out something special for him and let him know that it's from Aunt Ginny. :)

Thank you also to those who donated to the matching Facebook fundraiser I did for the rescue!  Together we raised almost $3,000.00 in memory of Arline!  I am currently looking for some smaller, up-and-coming local rescues who could use a wee bit of financial assistance.  All in my sister's name, of course. 

Ponyboy about gave me a heart attack the other day - I was petting him and felt an odd, hard LUMP in his belly.  Given his medical history, I took him to the vet right away, and it turned out that he had somehow managed to bruise his "xiphoid process".  Go ahead, google it, I'll wait ...

Leave it to PB to damage something I didn't even know EXISTED.  But he's doing great and will make a full recovery.

Now to the strange part ... well, first off, not being able to talk to my sister, of course.  I really, really miss just being able to pick up the phone and ... you know.  Anyone who has ever lost a loved one knows how tough that is. 

The other strange thing?  The money.  It just seems so WEIRD to have All. This. Money., and not to be able to talk about it.  I mean, talking about money is just kind of ... gauche, isn't it?  Not done?  Especially since I did absolutely nothing to actually EARN this money?

But, I mean, every month I open up the statements from my investment accounts and I just want to do a happy dance.  I understand, of course, that investments go up and go down, but right now, well ... my investment accounts earned more money in the first four months of 2019 than I will earn all YEAR at my job.

Whoa.

(And yes, these are solid investments - mutual funds and such - with an established firm with a proven track record of many decades.  No, I am not investing in oil wells in Texas or Nigerian princes.  It's all on the level.)

So I've got this money, and it's making MORE money, and it's all just such a KICK, and I ...can't really talk about it.  Except to YOU, of course.  I'm so glad I have you guys!

Don't hate me because I have money, okay?  :)




9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually I am very happy for you. And wasn't it nice to not have to think about the cost of the vet?

Julia

rockygrace said...

Julia, it WAS nice! There were years when vet bills took quite a sizable chunk out of my budget.

spiffikins said...

It is unfortunate that people aren't able to talk about money more - not in a competitive or bragging way - but it would be nice it there were not so many value judgements and FEELINGS tied up in discussions about money!

I remember one time, years and years ago - I was living at home - I was in a weird state with my job where I was *working* - but not getting *paycheques* regularly - long story! So I had moved home with my mom and was working from home. My grandmother came out to visit, and of course she had heard all about my moving home, and not getting paid - and in her quiet way, she was VERY WORRIED about me and my financial situation.

But - she wasn't going to ASK directly - she just made concerned noises. I had just come back from the back, and had updated my passbook, so I went over to her, and said "Here nana, look, it's ok" - and I showed her my bank balance. I don't even know how much it was - maybe 20-30k? It was my savings account at the time, I think. Certainly not "retire and buy an island" money - but a far cry from being flat broke and doomed.

And she just got this look of *relief* on her face - like - you're not destitute! She said "oh I'm SO glad, I was SO worried" - and gave me a big hug.

So yeah - feel free to talk about money here - we're all friends :) And I can't wait to see what kind of adventures you get up to!


rockygrace said...

spiff, my family was weird about money, too. Sometimes I wonder if some of it was because my parents grew up in the Depression - My dad was born in '23 and my mom in '24. On the one hand, Christmases when I was a kid were INSANE - maybe because my parents didn't have a lot as kids.

But on the other hand, when I was in high school and starting to look at colleges, my dad made me the same offer he made to my older siblings - if I wanted to go to either of the local colleges he would pay my full way, but if I wanted to go elsewhere, I'd have to do it on my own. Well, fine, right? So I went to the guidance counselor and got all the student loan forms and took them home (so that my dad could fill in his income, etc., as I was still living at home), and my dad ... refused to fill them out. He said it was nobody's damn business how much money he made. *sigh*

And since you said it was okay to talk about it ... I went and spent almost a hundred dollars on hanging flower baskets for the front of the house last weekend. I had stopped buying hanging baskets in the spring because it seemed silly to spend money on something that would just die in the fall, but this year? Screw it. They're GORGEOUS. haha.

James P. said...

Having enough money means emotional relief for people, which is nothing to take lightly. Having enough to share with the other rescues, etc., must feel like a luxury, which is thrilling. We're all quite sure that you deserve what you have gotten.

Didn't realize that your dad refused to fill out the loan forms. That's beyond heartbreaking about your college chance....especially with your brains. So sorry.

KJL said...

It always reminds me of the Daffy Duck cartoon, " We're rich, we're rich...we're comfortably well off." I, too, through some hard work and some good luck, am comfortably well off. To be able to pay for things that break, small pleasures, or donate to worthy causes is the most freeing feeling. In the FIRE (financial independence, retire early) world, they call it having f*** you money. Yep, best feeling in the world. I still work, but it's nice to know I could quit whenever I want.
Glad it's you - you've earned some indulgences and yet also are doing good - the true testament of one's character.
Kris

James P. said...

Freakin' Leona Helmsley!!

(Remember what happened to her, Wendy...)

rockygrace said...

Ginny, my dad would've paid my way to a local college, but I was young, and getting my ears filled by guidance counselors telling me that with my grades/test scores I could get into any college in the country, and, well ... I dug in my heels and blew it. And THAT'S how a (former) Mensa member (I let my membership lapse years ago) ended up flippin' burgers. :)

and I always pay my taxes! Leona Helmsley I ain't haha.

and KJL, I love the idea of both "FIRE" and "f*ck you money." Money may not buy happiness but it sure does open up your options. :)

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

Totally not going to hate you, totally going to love you and be happy for you, but I will admit I wouldn't mind knowing that bit of joy :D who wouldn't?? lol.

More belated and retroactive good wishes for you during the difficult transition time you are in..