Sunday, June 02, 2019

Soggy Sunday at Salt Springs


It was raining pretty good this morning, but I decided to go for a hike anyway.  Around here, if I waited for the rain to stop before I went outside, I'd never leave the house.  So I grabbed a raincoat and off I went.

In a steady rain, I pulled into the parking lot at Salt Springs State Park to discover it ... empty.  Good!  More park for me. :)

Due to recent severe storms and flash flooding, the main picnic area was no more:


And the creek bridge which leads to most of the trails had been washed away and replaced with ... a rope handrail.  I crossed over on the rocks.  Onward! 



All the rain has made things green green green:



And I swear the rain makes bright things look even brighter:



An old favorite, Penny Rock:


I thought the orange part of this fungus would be slimy, but it was firm and smooth instead:



This big ol' tree had grown across a bigger rock:


In bloom:


Heart rock, in the midst of all the flood damage:


and raindrops on the flowers:



By the time I was done hiking, my boots and socks were soaked and my jeans were wet up to my knees, but that's okay.  It still was a good walk.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Tell us about penny rock please.

Julia

KJL said...

Thanks for brightening the morning :-)
Kris

fmcgmccllc said...

Love your hikes

James P. said...

Best batch o' photos yet! You were planning to take a penny and hammer the next time you went.....

rockygrace said...

Julia, people have been wedging pennies into Penny Rock since, well, since there have been pennies, I guess. It's a great big rock, about the size of a pickup truck. There's something about the mineral content of the rock (I'm guessing) that makes pennies droop over time. Someday I've gotta take a magnifying glass and see what's the oldest penny I can find. And James P., I keep forgetting pennies! haha.

Anonymous said...

Fascinating. Thank you. I wonder how long it takes for the pennies to start to droop and if it works with any coin or just pennies.

Julia

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

Sounds like a lovely time, and penny rock is fascinating