Friday, April 19, 2019

And people wonder why I'm cranky

So, I had to take my car to the dealership the other day for a problem that was covered by a recall. As usual, I dropped my car off in the morning and took the dealership shuttle service to work. As the guy dropped me off, he asked me if I wanted to be picked back up at the same spot in the afternoon.

"Yes, right here," I said.

Along in the afternoon, I called the dealership to make sure my car would be ready, and to make sure the shuttle service would pick me up at the designated time and place.  Everything was all set.  At quitting time, I went down to the pickup spot.  A little background:  I work at what is called the "governmental plaza", with several municipal buildings in the same block on both sides of the street.  There is on-street back-in slanted parking (don't get me started), and there are always workers getting picked up/dropped off in front of the buildings in areas designated as "no parking".  I had asked to be picked up right in front of one of the buildings, where no parking is allowed and cars can pull in from the street to pick up or drop off.

So there I was, and ... no shuttle van.  And it was FREEZING out.  I waited five minutes, then ten, then called the dealership.  And got voicemail.  Helpful!

I waited five more minutes, and called again. "Where's the driver?" I asked.  "He was supposed to be here fifteen minutes ago."

"The driver called," the dealership guy said.  "He said he's there at your building."

"WHERE?"  I said.  "I don't see the van, and there's nobody in the pickup/dropoff area."

"Oh, the van wasn't available, so he just took a car over."

"WHAT CAR?" I said.  Now I was getting ticked.  "There's thirty cars out here, and none of them are at the pickup spot!"

"It's a black Hyundai," the dealership guy said.  "The same guy that dropped you off this morning is driving.  He says he parked in one of the back-in spots so he wouldn't get towed."

"Okay, wait a minute," I said.  "(a), If I had known I was gonna have to pick the driver out of a lineup this afternoon, I would have taken a closer look at him this morning, and (b), what am I supposed to do, go car to car knocking on windows to see which one is the dealership's?  People get KILLED that way.  TELL. THE. DRIVER. TO. GET. OUT. OF. THE. CAR. AND. WAVE."

"Well," the dealership guy said.  "The driver says he's in the black Hyundai next to a brown Tacoma pickup."

JESUS FREAKING CHRIST I was pissed at this point.  I scanned the parked cars for a black Hyundai next to a brown Tacoma, found it, and stormed over to the designated car, which was about fifty feet away from where the guy was supposed to be and where I had been standing, and looked in, and there was the driver, listening to the radio and staring idly into space.  He had never looked ONCE at the pickup area to see if I was waiting there (I was).

Because I needed to get my damn car, I kept my mouth shut and accepted the ride back to the dealership. But THIS IS WHY I'M CRANKY, PEOPLE. Stuff like THIS.  SHEESH.


3 comments:

KJL said...

Oh dear lord...I assume you scored what you needed to on the Civil Service exam?

Kris

rockygrace said...

Kris, I STILL DON'T KNOW. I took the typing part of the test (and passed it, natch) last Tuesday, and now I'm waiting for grades to be posted. *sigh*

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

I would be like "dude, I have NO idea what you are talking about" cause I can't tell a toyota from a turtle..