Friday, November 09, 2018

In an Instant

Thank you so much for all of your condolences.  That was, of course, one of the hardest posts I've written here.  I'm so glad I have you all to share these things with, even if I'm not around near as much as I used to be.

The last week, evenings have been spent trying to make sure all of her various accounts (water, phone, insurance, etc.) have been notified and her accounts closed.  Some companies have been very accommodating; others, not so much.  Dear ATandT:  Seriously?  I have to bring in her most recent bill AND a death certificate IN PERSON to an ATandT store in order to cancel her phone service?  What. the. hell.

I've been emailing back and forth with her lawyer regarding getting her estate settled.  She didn't have a lot of "real property"; she rented a townhouse and had a 10-year-old car, so I imagine the estate part will be fairly straightforward.  Her financial advisor wanted to meet with me while I was in Texas, but our schedules just didn't align, so we agreed that we'd speak by phone once I was back home.  I knew that she was very careful with money and had invested for her retirement. She told me once that she was planning on making me beneficiary of her investment accounts.  I told her I appreciated the thought very much, but why didn't she just leave it to charity?

She didn't.  She left it to me.  I had no idea how much money she had; she'd been retired for 15 years and was drawing off those investment accounts, which is how it works, after all.  When her financial guy told me she had indeed made me beneficiary, I just hoped that there would be enough left in the accounts to cover her outstanding bills and pay the lawyer and funeral home bills.

The financial guy called me Wednesday night.  She left more than enough money to pay off her outstanding bills.  She left ... a lot of money.  Not "buy a private island in the Bahamas" money, not "buy a private island, well, ANYWHERE" money, but enough so that my life has changed.  Just like that.

I always assumed that I would have to work as long as I was able to do so, because I certainly had never made enough to set anything aside over the years.  I was looking forward to getting my house paid off next year, because that would be one less bill to pay, and would give me a little more breathing room when the furnace needed to be fixed or the roof repaired.  I was hoping to move someplace warmer .... someday.  But no matter where I moved, I'd have to keep working. That's just the way it was.

And now, just like that, retirement is a reality.  If I want to move someplace warmer tomorrow, I can.  If I want to take a nice trip, I can go right ahead.  The financial guy flat-out asked me, "Do you have a bucket list?  Pick a couple things and go right ahead."

WHAT. JUST. HAPPENED?

I still can't believe this is real.  I can't believe she's gone, and I can't believe the money.  And I will tell you right now, I would give that money back in a heartbeat if it would bring her back.

I could turn down the money, but it wouldn't bring her back.

And with one half-hour phone call, my life has changed.  In an instant.  Oh, Arline.






8 comments:

spiffikins said...

Aww, Rocky, big hugs to you. I'm so sorry for your loss.

I'm certain that your sister would be tickled pink to know that this money is going to make such a difference in your life.

It's terrible that this happened and that she is not here with you - but a part of her will be with you when you do the things on your bucket list!

{{{{Rocky}}}}

Mama D said...

The gift of peace of mind for you. How wonderful amidst the sadness of her loss. Hugs from me too. ❤️

KJL said...

I'm both so happy and so sad for you...and guess you are equally conflicted. Can you picture her face watching you as you learned that information? Now, make her proud!

With deepest condolences,
Kris
PS: Watch out for your new "friends."

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

Through all this sadness a ray of sunshine. I am so happy for you

James P. said...

Oh. My. God.

She knew all along this was going to you.....and I am quite sure she had fun picturing your "changed life", like when you are wrapping a present that you know is going to be the best ever for someone. What a sister!!

Is there an obituary we can see?

James P. said...

Because of the age difference, she may have felt that you were "her child" as much as your mother did!

rockygrace said...

James P., there was no published obituary - she hadn't lived in this area for over twenty years, and she had a pretty tight circle of friends in Texas who held a remembrance service there for her last week. There may be some kind of family service in the Spring, and an obit may be published at that time, but I'm not really sure.

rockygrace said...

and I would been honored to have Arline for a mom, but I was very proud to have her as a sister and a friend. :)